Open Modal

Lawsuit against Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs dismissed after accuser refuses to reveal identity

Sean Combs^ Diddy^ P. Diddy^ is an American rapper.He remains imprisoned at Brooklyn's Metropolitan Detention Centre
Sean Combs^ Diddy^ P. Diddy^ is an American rapper.He remains imprisoned at Brooklyn's Metropolitan Detention Centre

Sean “Diddy” Combs’ had a small win in civil court after one of the lawsuits accusing him of sexual assault was dismissed by a judge due to the plaintiff’s decision not to reveal her identity.

Per PEOPLE, on Monday, March 31, 2025, a federal judge tossed the case after the plaintiff did not newly file a complaint under her real identity. The woman had sued Combs in the Southern District of New York under the name ‘Jane Doe’ in October 2024, accusing him of assaulting her at a party in 1995. The woman was represented by Tony Buzbee, a high-profile Houston attorney who previously announced he was representing hundreds of people accusing Combs of sexual misconduct. Buzbee said in a statement: “In this particular case, Jane Doe opted not to proceed. There is a lot of fear amongst these plaintiffs. I thus can’t blame her. These are tough cases and they are many times re-traumatizing for those who pursue them. Each case stands on its own merit. This woman chose not to proceed and subject herself to the media circus and the perceived danger she felt. We have to respect that.”

U.S. District judge Lewis J. Liman wrote in her ruling: “On March 6, 2025, the Court denied Plaintiff’s motion to proceed anonymously and ordered her to file a complaint in her own name by March 20, 2025, or the case would be dismissed. As of [March 3], Plaintiff has not filed a complaint in her own name, nor has she sought an extension of time to do so. Accordingly, the case is dismissed.”

Combs’ legal team said in a statement: “Today a federal judge dismissed a lawsuit filed against Mr. Combs by Texas attorney Anthony Buzbee and his local counsel Antigone Curis on behalf of an anonymized plaintiff. This is now the second case brought by these attorneys against Mr. Combs that has been dismissed in its entirety. It will not be the last. For months, we have seen case after case filed by individuals hiding behind anonymity, pushed forward by attorneys more focused on media headlines than legal merit. The other claims, like the one dismissed today, also will not hold up in a court of law.”

Combs has been named a defendant in several dozen lawsuits accusing him of misconduct, and is also facing criminal charges following a September indictment on federal sex crimes, including sex trafficking and racketeering. He has pleaded not guilty, and denied any wrongdoing.

Combs remains behind bars in Brooklyn after being denied bail, with his criminal trial set to begin on May 5.

Editorial credit: bella1105 / Shutterstock.com

Recommended Posts

Loading...